UCROSS FOUNDATION RESIDENCY PROGRAMAPPLICATION GUIDELINES
PLEASE NOTE: Due to a major remodel of our School House dining room and kitchen, the 2017 spring residency session will be shortened. It will run from late February to the end of April. We will not be able to offer residencies in May or June of 2017. We look forward to resuming our regular residency schedule in August 2017.
ELIGIBILITY: The Residency Program is open to visual artists, writers, composers, choreographers, interdisciplinary artists, performance artists and collaborative teams. Applicants must exhibit professional standing in their field; both mature and emerging artists of promise are welcome to apply.
ADMISSIONS: Residents are chosen by a rotating panel of professionals in the arts and humanities. Final awards of residencies are at the discretion of the Ucross Foundation.
APPLICATION DEADLINES: October 1 for residencies within the Spring Session (late February to early June) and March 1 for residencies within the Fall Session (August to early December).
SESSION SCHEDULE: Notification of the status of your application takes 8-10 weeks. While every effort is made to accommodate applicant's scheduling requests, we are not always able to grant first choices. Please indicate flexibility and restrictions on your application. If you are accepted for a time you are not available, please contact the Residency Manager. A scheduling change could occur to your advantage.
REFERENCES: Each applicant is responsible for requesting two letters of reference from qualified individuals who are familiar with his or her work. Applicants must provide an email address for two references. When your application is submitted, each reference will receive an email with instructions on how to submit their letter. The deadline for application submission is either March 1 or October 1. Your reference writers will have 7 days following the corresponding deadline to submit their letters. (Letter deadlines are March 7 or October 7)
REAPPLICATION: Artists who have applied in the past, including previous residents and those who had Alternate status, must submit new and complete applications to be considered for another session, including recent work samples and reference letters. An artist may return to Ucross after three years have elapsed since his or her previous residency. (You would be able to reapply in 2 ½ years).
COLLABORATION: If applying as a collaborative team, both or all artists need to submit separate applications along with a joint project proposal. Your work samples may be individual or collaborative. Please indicate in the proposal what requirements you have for workspace.
COUPLES: Couples composed of two artists may apply individually for concurrent residencies with the understanding that one might be accepted and the other not. Every artist accepted for a residency will be offered a private studio. The Foundation is unable to invite spouses or partners to accompany artists-in-residence under any other circumstance.
ELIGIBILITY: Residencies are open to Oregon mid-career visual artists who meet the following criteria:
* be a practicing visual artist currently producing works of art in the following mediums: PAINTING, DRAWING, SCULPTURE, PRINTMAKING, MIXED MEDIA, INSTALLATION and PHOTOGRAPHY (artists working in FILM, VIDEO AND ANIMATION are not eligible)
* be a full-time resident of Oregon for at least 36 months prior to the application deadline and remain a resident through the duration of the grant period
* maintain Oregon as their primary residence if they participate in an out-of-state residency program or they will not qualify
* be 30 years of age or older at the time of application
* evidence, through appropriate documentation, a sustained level of commitment to his/her medium with seven (7) or more years of active professional practice
* not be enrolled in a degree-seeking program, either part-time or full-time at the time of application or during the successive grant period
WORK SAMPLE: Submit 10-15 IMAGES (in jpeg format) and a DATA SHEET that corresponds to your images which includes title, medium, size and year of completion.